View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #352
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I love Kemba as a teammate & competitor. I guess you might as well keep him as #11 next to Marcus instead of Harrison Barnes or Khris Middleton if better wings play. Btw, I guess I have moved on if I didn't even think of Kyrie as an option as a small offensive first guard!

What did he stand to lose though? He's spent the last decade losing to better teams & being a second/third tier guy, I think this only gave him the chance to up his reputation.

I think he takes a hit on the same metric that caused guys to drop out because they were afraid they'd lose minutes to other guys - social media clout. You can be a great player on a bad team like Kemba has been all his career and still be on trend because the regular season is basically just a social media highlight reel until the real season begins. He was the best play on what should have been (raw talent-wise) the best team even with the guys who showed up. It might be a relative small hit to his rep, but it's still a hit I think.

He deserves some credit, along with the other guys, for actually showing up and competing, and to me he was consistently the most impressive guy on the court for USA. Just from watching this USA team play I feel better about the Celtics' chances with him at the point. I had doubts how he would do surrounded by better talent than he's had in Charlotte, but I'm now thinking he'll be as effective (or more) in Boston with a much better supporting cast.