View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #526
QuikSand
lolzcat

SPOILER FOR WEST COASTERS - TUESDAY NIGHT - SORRY

ufrfjfeiwvfoivwnoivwunlvjnviewnoweuvnoievoevwnvefpvefnevfinvefwoin

So, for unreasonably unforgivable sins, fairly high on my list would be "clearly smart people who won't take the short time needed to understand Jeopardy! wagering even after being invited onto the show."

Tonight... awful case.

Champ is clearly the best player, has a solid lead into DJ round. Then Challenger 2 gets the first DJ, and has to make a decision, with scores maybe 15-3-7. He decided to bet most but not quite all his money, maybe 6000 out of 7700? Ok, I'm fine with that I guess. I don't really love the implicit value attached to "having a tiny bit to play on with" but there are occasionally spoiler avenues fora 3rd place player, so fine. He gets it, and is right in the hunt.

Then, fairly soon after, he hits the other DJ. The score is now something like 17-4-12... and he bets...? No, not everything, but just barely enough to take a slight lead, I think it's 7,000 (he could have bet 5K more). He hits it, takes a slight lead, and then down the stretch the superior champ takes control and leads roughly 24-5-20 into FJ.

The lunacy is not over.

Question is tough. They got to challenger 1 with 5400, she's wrong, wagered EVERYTHING ans goes broke. Sigh.

Challenger 2. He is also wrong. He bet ALMOST EVERYTHING and is left with $101. WTF.

Champion is also wrong. He made the proper bet - something like $17K, enough to beat out Challenger 2 if they both got it right. So, he walks away as still the champ, with another $7K or so in winnings.

Challenger 2 is a pretty smart guy, a good J! player, and just refused to give any thought to this particular element of the game, It's shocking how common that is. He made poor, but defensible (if risk-averse) decisions with his DJ wagers, but then got the salvation he needed with a stumper FJ question, and managed to hit for the fuckup cycle with another shit wager that sent him home broke, instead of up $20K as a returning champion. Nitwit in 3rd place put all her eggs into the "the two guys who just crushed me at trivia will both be stumped, but I alone will get this one" basket and she's broke too.

I can't.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote