View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #896
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If you hear a coach talking about wanting to focus on the running the ball they are outdated in their thinking and probably dont have much clue on what they are doing. Vikings arent any different. They will be good enough to beat up on the weaklings of the league but wont be able to beat the modern teams that realize passing and stopping the pass is what wins games.

I'm not sure they're wrong (perhaps in the way that they mean it, but also not necessarily wrong). I agree that you generally need a very good to elite quarterback and a good passing game. But I don't think by any means you need a prolific passing offence. More so, a balanced offence is probably preferred. Sometimes that may mean running the ball more often. That doesn't mean running all the time, nor running all the time on first and second down. I think this might be what you are talking about and also where old school coaches are getting it wrong. Sometimes the pass should be setting up the run. Balance is really the key.

I'll leave the following stats with the caveat that I know teams that are winning are more likely to be running the ball late in the game. But the following shows the Super Bowl teams from the last 6 years, followed by their rank in total offensive plays, rank in pass attempts and rank in rushing attempts.

NEP 2 / 11 / 3
LAR 4 / 14 / 8
PHI 3 / 13 / 6
NEP 4 / 7 / 11
NEP 7 / 23 / 3
ATL 26 / 26 / 12
DEN 10 / 13/ 17
CAR 8 / 27 / 1
NEP 5 / 7 / 13
SEA 14 / 32 / 2
SEA 29 / 31 / 2
DEN 1/ 1 / 11