View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #19879
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, nobody's really talking about Iran and nukes. It's another really fascinating case study in Trump/TeamTrump's understanding of modern politics.

Let's start with two things that nearly everyone can agree on:

-complicated things are complicated, meaning most people won't take the time to really understand them... not 55% but, like, nearly everyone

-it's fundamentally easier to be against something new and attack it than to be for something and defend it

So, start from there. Obama led a coalition to work out a deal to cease Iran's nuclear ambitions. I can't tell you more than that, it's a complicated topic, I don't have time to try to research it and come up with my own assessment. I know Israel wasn't thrilled, but I know a lot of people signed off on it being a way to keep Iran from becoming a nuclear weapon state.

Trump on the campaign trail offered a one word analysis, countless times: "disaster." In what way? According to whom? No, that's not what we do. We're not going to debate fairly, we're just going to take a far-out stance. That accomplished several things, but the most noteworthy is that it makes it very hard and risky to disagree with him. If Clinton had gone into a lengthy defense of the treaty/deal, she runs the risk of looking too wonky, or worse of defending every tiny facet of what I'm sure was a very, very complicated arrangement. That's too great a risk, and it works. Trump gets to convince his followers that he's an expert "deal maker" and that this is a bad one, and nobody of consequence stands up to say he's full of shit.

So, now, we've pulled out of the deal. So has Iran. They have just re-launched their most aggressive enrichment site, and we can't say boo about it. But, you know, at least we got rid of that "disaster" that... umm...uhh...had shut down their high-level enrichment activity.

I don't claim to know what is right here, it may well have been a bad deal. But whether that's true is obviously incidental to Cult 45. If some disingenuous wordplay is what it takes to convince a few more Wisconsinites that the libs are cucks, and doing so later requires grave risk to the middle east and maybe all humanity, well so be it.

Dammit.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote