View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Further thoughts on DDS: Pro Football, ahead of the formal review (which I will post this weekend probably)

This is a solid mid-range game. The 2D allows the game to have a pretty good niche, as you can better visualize key battles, like when your Running Back busts through the line, you can tell that the lineman did a good job get out in front.

The improvements I would like (forgive me if I've missed something)

A) Further improvements of the 2D engine and commentary. The 2D engine base is good, which actually makes the flaws (regarding time running off, penalties plays showing a bit weirdly sometimes) more glaring, but this is definitely something that can be evolved.

B) Improving the in-game experience. Breaking down stats by category in game instead of a list of players unsorted would be so useful. They have done so much to give the outside-the-game experience flavor, a similar pass on improving in-game commentary would be great. Maybe something similar to what the draft experience is like, provide a play by play guy who gives the breakdown "There's the handoff to White. Up the middle, and gets five yards." and then another character to handle the Color commentary role "You can see on the replay that the guard, Thomas was able to seal off his man and provided the space for the first down. Well done!"

C) Improve the UI/friendliness for folks who just want to do certain parts. For example, I'm interested mostly in coaching games, signing and trading players. I'm not big on scouting players, I'd be willing to accept the computer's view on who I should scout and what the results are. A screen on the options page to let the CPU handle certain parts of the job for you would be great.

D) I LOVE LOVE LOVE how easy it is to simulate multiple seasons to give your game history. Add an option as part of league creation to sim a number of years to the initial creation (as well as rename divisions and conferences before actually starting the game).

In short: I think they've done the REVOLUTIONARY work for the franchise. It's now time to do EVOLUTIONARY work. Make what they have better. The game has a very different feel then FOF, lean into it and improve what they have, and they'll have a true-FOF threat.