View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #542
QuikSand
lolzcat

Roster Review, continued...

Offensive line: Well, we had a plan. Now I'm not so sure.

Tricky situation arose last season - our three current build-around veteran linemen (LT Woolford 10th, LG Dielman 10th, C Castillo 9th) all happen to be from the same chem group, 6-7. I've had an awful time getting someone to take the chem lead away from Dielman - last year I just gave in and started youngish Marshal Kieth (2-3 guy, 66/89) to prep him for future leadership. That looked fine - just build around a solid-looking 2-3 leader. Once Dielman goes, by trade or contract expiration, Kieth can take over and we'll be fine.

Problem is, that's presumably about when Woolford and Castillo will be ready to go, too. So... we really don't have to build chemistry around them, right?

So...the plan now is to establish somebody as the leader-in-waiting, and make sure we have pieces in place so that over the 5 year plan, we will remain solid in talent, loaded in chemistry, and at least developing in cohesion. RT Brennan was supposed to be the centerpiece of that, but he choked on a bone in camp last year and is now a waterboy. Instead, 5th year RT Gage Peterson has a year under his belt and an 89 personality in the 6-7 group, so he could be a long term asset for us. But I don't have a ton of guys to build around. So, I expect to use this draft to fill in at least one, maybe two, of those slots.

My pick at 1.31 is coming up, and there's a run-blocking OT I didn't really love, but who was #7 overall on the in-game big board, and looks solid enough, at least to play RT. So, if he slides to our pick at 1.31, maybe I do that? (He's a 2-3 guy, so that might force my hand out of using Kieth as the leader...but his 89 personality we never ideal, to be honest) Regardless, across these first 7 picks, I expect to land two linemen, or so. Might have to stick to the 6-7 group, even. Ugh.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote