View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #592
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Quick note - as I set up the active roster for this year, I think I'll create another metric to watch.

STIndex =
(Mean of ST ratings for active players encouraged to play ST +
Median of ST ratings for active players encouraged to play ST +
Lowest ST rating among active players encouraged to play ST)
/3

For us, this year, I'm encouraging 13 active players, with these ratings:

98 77 76
88 87 72
92 88 88 83
96 94 89

So, the mean is 86.8, the median is 88, the lowest is 72. STIndex = 82.3

I will keep an eye on this going forward for this team, and will also check after the regular season to see who actually got put in to play special teams. Even in a zero-injury league, I don't know whether 13 guys will play equal shares, or whether the team will dip into the not-encouraged gang. In theory we only need 9-11 players per play - I'd be pleased if, in this league, only 13 guys actually got used. I don't expect that, because, you know, reasons.

Ok, getting back to this. I deliberately had only 13 active players set to "encouraged" to play special teams. In a zero-injury league, that seems like it would be "enough." However, maybe the team pushes some OL into the role on kicks/punts, that sort of thing. Might be somewhat beyond our control.

Let's see who actually played: Link, assuming uploaded image fails as usual

Okay... an uneven distribution. Sorted by ST plays, I'll recite the current ST ratings for the players in that order:

88 75 96 92 77 88 87 81 94 92 18(returner) 98 88 83 snapper OL punter OL OL kicker 78 24

Okay, that took a pretty long time until we got into the true "rando" territory. LB Brotzman seemed like the "next man up" for some reason. If our regulars logged 200-300 ST snaps, Brotzman got around 30. I'll declare victory there - not bad at all. (I kinda wanna check to see if LB Armstrong and his 75 ST rating was "encouraged" - he got a few snaps but fewer than Brotzman, that seems wrong... but again, on the margin overall)

So... if the game is going to force my guards to play special teams, maybe we don't even need to go 13 players deep as "encouraged" there? When kicking, we have a K/P, a snapper, and it looks like 1-2 guards... so only 7-8 guys needed. When returning, we need 10. Hmmmm. Could we get by with only 10 guys designated to play special teams, trying to replace those 77s with 94s?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote