View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #20855
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just curious why people that have higher education should have an easier path to citizenship than an equally qualified immigrant that was not able to complete a college degree? The work force needs unskilled labor too and why not focus on improving educational opportunities for those already here? And if I was told I had to relinquish my British citizenship I would tell the government to kiss my Limey ass.

People with higher education (e.g. PhD) should have an easier path because I believe it is a semi-zero sum game. "Brain drain" allows the US to get a country's best and brightest, it helps the US and hurts the other country. I'm all for the brightest talent coming over especially from China but honestly from anywhere.

For unskilled labor, I've got multiple posts on holistic immigration reform which includes more guest workers. Devil is in the details of this but conceptually I agree we need more "legally" (e.g. south of the border).

Is this racist? No. Is it discriminatory? Yes.

On dual citizenship, I've got prior posts on this also. I immigrated and I took the oath. I personally feel if you take the oath to be naturalized and reaping the great benefits of this country, having a dual citizenship is incongruent to the oath and shouldn't be allowed (obviously the US government thinks otherwise). It says:
Quote:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
Yes, JPhillips has said China doesn't allow you to renounce their citizenship when you become US naturalized, but I think there is plenty we can do to enforce it if we choose to (e.g. let's cut up your passport, do not allow you to get a new Chinese passport etc.)

Also, I understand it goes both ways. US citizens naturalized in some other countries can hold dual citizenships. US citizens obviously benefit from being able to straddle dual citizenships and get the benefits (e.g. work in the other country). Nevertheless, it personally seems wrong to me.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote