View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #20875
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are Kushner's motives aligned with Miller's?

I honestly don't know. Miller's views on immigration have been out there for all to see and judge. Kushner could have the completely opposite viewpoint. I don't know.

I googled "Kushner racist". In 3 pages, I found

-- Accusations he is a slum lord
-- Accused of being a racist because of his proposed Palestinian-Israeli peace proposal
-- Defending his FIL against accusations of racism (e.g. birther stuff)

So no, I think we give him the benefit of doubt unless there's reported systemic pattern of ADL defined racism.

Quote:
I do know the administration has made it perfectly clear what they feel the proper immigrant looks like. And yes, they have articulated a preferred race of those immigrants. I don't know if that is because they believe that one is "superior" to others or they just rather see one race for aesthetic reasons. I honestly don't care. Based on that, I am not sure why I would expect any immigration proposal that comes from this administration not to reflect the views that they have expressed whether it is led by Kushner, Miller or anyone else.

I see Racism different from Bigotry/Prejudice & Discrimination.

I say I care whether "they believe one is superior to others" because that is racist and I would have to find some very strong justification to knowingly support it (and I can't think of one but never say never). And racism is specific to race and not religion (arguably, being Jewish is a generally accepted exception).

However, if a policy is prejudicial or discriminates, I would ask if it makes sense or if there is some context, and I could see myself supporting or agreeing to it.

The merit-base immigration proposal is not racist but definitely discriminates.

(I would add that the report that I linked to on Kushner's merit based immigration proposal said that Chinese and Indians will most likely benefit because they are more likely to have those "merits")

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote