View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #20879
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I see Racism different from Bigotry/Prejudice & Discrimination.

You keep making this distinction and I don't understand why. Since the ADL is the definition of record here, I will ask my previous question in this way.

If the basis of a policy stems from the author's "belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics." or it results in "Prejudice and/or discrimination against people based on the social construction of race." in a way that "differences in physical characteristics (e.g. skin color, hair texture, eye shape) are used to support a system of inequities.", why would you support said policy under any context if you are against racism?

A merit based program is not inherently racist. It could be if it is based on "the belief that another person is less than human — because of skin color, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person." Much of the talk and actions that have come from this administration regarding immigrants from say Latin America, Africa, and the Caribbean stands in stark contrast when compare with the talk/actions with immigrants from say Norway, Given that I don't expect anyone to stand at a podium on national TV and explicit state a hatred of a particular race. I think it is fair to question what a merit based system would be based on that talk and those actions.

What is Racism? | ADL

https://www.adl.org/sites/default/fi...tion-terms.pdf
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote