View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #20880
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You keep making this distinction and I don't understand why. Since the ADL is the definition of record here, I will ask my previous question in this way.

Yes, the ADL definition is the one I am going by. I believe others on this board have a much broader definition of what racism is so its good to level-set between us.

Quote:
If the basis of a policy stems from the author's "belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics." or it results in "Prejudice and/or discrimination against people based on the social construction of race." in a way that "differences in physical characteristics (e.g. skin color, hair texture, eye shape) are used to support a system of inequities.", why would you support said policy under any context if you are against racism?

Both quotes are ADL definition of racism.

The ADL definition of discrimination and prejudice are:
Quote:
DISCRIMINATION: The denial of justice and fair treatment by both individuals and institutions in
many arenas, including employment, education, housing, banking and political rights.
Discrimination is an action that can follow prejudicial thinking.
Quote:
PREJUDICE: Prejudging or making a decision about a person or group of people without sufficient
knowledge. Prejudicial thinking is frequently based on stereotypes.
Race could be a factor in examples of discrimination & prejudice but I see both as being much broader e.g. it includes a bunch of other things beside just race.

Hence, I cannot see justification for racism (discrimination & prejudice based on race or belief that my race is superior) but I can see several rationale for discrimination & prejudice other than race e.g. country of origin, religion etc. When I say rationale in this context, I means its understandable and I'm personally neutral/okay with it/not okay with it

Quote:
A merit based program is not inherently racist. It could be if it is based on "the belief that another person is less than human — because of skin color, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person."

I agree a merit based program is not inherently racist. And I see no evidence Kushner's plan is based on "belief that another person ... etc."

Quote:
Much of the talk and actions that have come from this administration regarding immigrants from say Latin America, Africa, and the Caribbean stands in stark contrast when compare with the talk/actions with immigrants from say Norway, Given that I don't expect anyone to stand at a podium on national TV and explicit state a hatred of a particular race. I think it is fair to question what a merit based system would be based on that talk and those actions.

I don't disagree that Trump/Miller has said many racist things. I also believe that they have said many things that are prejudicial and discriminatory outside of race.

The link I provided on the details of the merit based program says that Chinese and Indians immigrants would benefit most because they have the "merits" to check off.

I assume Kushner knows this. If this is so, is this really a racist policy? Or is it discriminatory towards the better educated, more wealth?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote