Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright let’s get started with my list proper:

15. Home Behind
PC
TPP Studio
Roguelite Survival

Home Behind is an interesting rogue-lite (as opposed to roguelike) game with a light political sensitivity to current events. You play as a refugee that walks from left to right on the screen, and things pass by. Once you have passed them, you can't ever go back, so you want to ensure you are thorough.

But the game has a built-in tension that rebels are heading your way, and if you wait too long, they will catch up to you. So, you are constantly trying to things like build stuff, explore, talk to people, and fighting that takes times off the clock. Meanwhile, the rebels are relentlessly moving behind you and taking everything over.

Now, like a Roguelite, there is just one save, you have to continue from where you start, and the RNG can be your friend or enemy. It's also a hard game on the normal mode of difficulty, and there is no (real) tutorial, you are just thrown in. But it certainly is a good game, with things to unlock and understand as you play through. Successful play through should be 6-7 hours, assuming you don't die. Unlike normal Rogue inspired games, you can restart from your previous save when you bite it. I enjoy the game and I think its well done and packaged for just 6 bucks.

The only things I would add to the game are minor nitpicks (A few key dialogues happen in pull away scenes and don’t take time off the clock, others happen on the screen and do. The further you go, the more stuff you have to craft to make crafting things, and I'd love some shortcuts so I don't have to make four ropes to turn into a heavy rope each time I need a heavy rope of something and I have the resources for the lesser ropes) . Those minor concerns aside, this is a very strong game.

The sidescrolling feature perfectly meshes with the “fleeing-your-home” theme. This game was made by two people, a married couple. Check it out!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-19-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote