View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #630
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, the results of the first and biggest FA stage are in, and the results are mixed. At one point, this outcome was precisely what I desired. Then I flipped. Now, I'm a bit disappointed.

Ramon Tuholski is gone. Not to AVAILABLE, but to Atlanta, the champs. Dammit. Ben definitely thinks human GMs undervalue older players, and he likely had cap space to make this move - he lands Tuholski for 3yrs, $108.0M (Bonus: $75.0M. Salary: $11.0M, $11.0M, $11.0M.) I put in a bonus-heavy bid at $22m per year... likely wouldn't even have beaten out the AVAILABLE bids. So... not really even close. So it goes. Initially my instinct was to just let him walk, then I talked myself into him as important for 2010-11-12 if not 2013-14-15. Mooted now. He gone.

What's the upside here? Shiny new DB Eugene Slechta. He lined up at safety thus far, but at 190 lbs and maxed-out bump skills, I see him as a CB for us. His signing probably means we can let both CB Metzenbaum and Everett walk - our CB1/2 pair of the future is likely Shlechta/Small in whatever order, with the nickel and dime slots filled out by our other happy campers. That should be very solid, talent-wise, and every single guy will be on board for chemistry.

Riley Douglas now freely moves over to start at SS, where his 88 RunD and max Zone D should make him a serious force, as well as the chem lead. Austin and (probably) McGee remain in our long term plans as rotation-caliber safeties. I like it.

Now... if I do end up using my 2nd round pick in this draft, it's possible I still go DB for lack of stronger options. But I'm hoping that isn't our situation.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote