View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #952
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This was shared and is completely valid for people thinking NDSU has to move up. Plus it doesn't even deal with recruiting problems.

Some perspective for everyone standing outside the campus of NDSU holding a pitchfork and a torch calling for the Bison to move up to FBS:

1. NDSU is a public school, meaning that its primary funding source is the State of North Dakota.

2. The State of North Dakota is funded exclusively by tax money.

3. The State of North Dakota cannot give money to NDSU that it doesn’t first take from the public.

4. Moving up to FBS will cost somewhere between $50-$100 million when it’s all said and done between expanding the Fargodome to meet NCAA FBS requirements and all related infrastructure improvements, increased number of academic scholarships for the athletes, coaching staff compensation, athletic department budget, etc.

5. The overwhelming majority of the costs of moving up to FBS will likely be footed by the State of ND.

6. To come up with the money needed to cover the bill, the state will have to increase its tax revenue.

7. Who in their right mind wants to see their taxes go up just to see some sportscasters/talking heads shut up over the issue of how a college football team funded by said taxpayers is “too good for the division they’re in and need to move up” or something to that extent?

8. NDSU doesn’t need to move up, everyone else in the FCS just needs to get better and show the NCAA that D1 football doesn’t need to have 2 tiers.

The moral? Everything has a catch, and it’s often found in the 2nd half of the story that no one ever talks about, which is why it’s usually located there.

I think it's stupid for non-NDSU people to get bent out of shape about what level NDSU plays at. Only NDSU and its affiliations themselves should have a say or care about making that move.

But your logic list is crap. It's not wrong. One point follows to the next. But that's the way government works. Every university deals with it. Almost every university's AD operates in the red and exists only because of support from their school's general fund, the vast majority of the money for which comes from state taxes. NDSU isn't in some special situation which exempts it from having to decide whether or not it makes the jump to FBS.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote