Old 01-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

#4. BattleTech
PC/OSX
Harebrained Schemes
Strategy – Turn Based Movement

Alright let’s do it!

Let’s begin today’s review with a simple question. How many hours on Steam have I logged into my many deep post-game runs on BattleTech since it was released about 20 months ago in April 2018. 382 hours. That is, for the record, more than my play of:

Banished – 182 hours
Football Manager 19 – 117 hours as well as every other version of FM, save for
Blood Bowl II – 148 hours
Cities Skylines – 139 hours
Craft the World – 134 hours
Star Control Origins 75 hours
Stardew Valley – 351 hours
My #1 game below at 201 hours
Surviving Mars at 69 hours
Tales of Maj-Eyal 154 hours
Fallout 4 – 204 hours
Fallout New Vegas – 105 hours
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 – 97 hours
Any Civ? None more than 46 hours
The Sims 3? (My favorite version) 46 hours
Space Pirates and zombies – 78 hours
Tropico 3 was the one with the most time at 97 hours

The only games with more hours? Don’t Starve (740 hours, I love that game) and Eu 3 & 4. And Fm 16 was the only one with more, but FM is a game I tend to keep open and come back toso I think that number is inflated. Not Crusader Kings 2! Not Victoria II! Just THREE Games, and I’ve had this one for fewer than 2 years. That’s means I’ve played a lot of big stompy robots.

So, let’s talk about it!

Turn based movement? Check! I love it as a way to deal with battle, from the XCOM franchise to winners like Heroes of Might and Magic, the Jagged Alliance series, and loads more!

Small Number of Things? Check! I really enjoy games where I’ve not moving 15 things around the map. I’m generally not going to the biggest fan of a mechanic with bigger turn movement movement if I have giant squad of 20 dorks to move around. XCom’s later missions can take a whole lot longer as you add more and more dorks into your squad, and get bigger ships to transport them in as well.

Difficult Economic Management? Yup! You can pull out of a mission before you finish it, which you may want to do if you are losing it, or even winning it but about to lose some metal. In this era, life is cheap, mechs aren’t. The economic aspects can be difficult to deal with. You could easily have a monthly cost of 600k per month for your ship, units, and dorks. And it can take 2 weeks to move from one system to a nearby one to see if you can find contracts. Each planet may only have a few, and some plants won’t have any, like those abandoned worlds out there. If it was easy being a mercenary, anyone could do it.

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/battl...05220235_1.png

Since release it’s added some free updates with new mechs, as well as many new mechs in DLCs. It’s added city maps, new terrain, and lots of quality of life upgrades. It’s better than many other BattleTech games, in my opinion, and I ….loves it. As you can see above!

Do you?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-19-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote