Thread: 2020 MLB thread
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #99
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Unless you consider how few teams are in the market for a 1 yr rental of Betts and even half of Price's lost money.

Then it becomes a lot more understandable.

Well, with what the Red Sox are kicking in financially for Price the Dodgers are getting the market rate for him if you consider Price on par with Dallas Keuchel.

Do we know for certain Betts wasnt going to re-sign with the Red Sox if they offered him a market level contract? From what I read they low-balled him just so they could say they attempted with obvious intention of trading him. He was offered 8 years 200 million when Bryce Harper got 13 years 330 million and Anthony Rendon 7 years 245 million. So in comparison its not a market level offer.

If their goal was to save money I think you start by seeing what return they could have gotten from JD Martinez.

So IMO they are still idiots because they were offering up huge money to Eovaldi without planning for this salary cap tax problem and not realizing they we might need to set aside some money for their star in a year or two.

Trading Betts might make sense if you are a small market team. It makes no sense when you are the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels as them are the players they overpay in free agency anyway.

Also, I would not be surprised if owners push to get a limit on guaranteed contract length. These players being offered 8+ year guaranteed contracts is pretty crazy. Not likely, but if Trout pulls a Pujols and forgets to hit they are stuck for 400 million. Also, does it make players like Bryce Harper work any harder in the off season if he locked in for the next 12 years making millions despite his performance?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-10-2020 at 08:02 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote