View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #599
molson
General Manager

We have no idea what the mortality rate is because not everyone who gets it is reported. It seems to be more deadly than the flu, at least for older people.

It can't be contained fully. But it's not like a zombie scenario where if one person gets out of quarantine everybody'd fucked again. The goal is just to slow it. Slowing it eases pressure on the hospitals. Slowing it will also reduce the number of people who get it. The virus needs new hosts to keep going. It's harder and harder for it to find new hosts when there's fewer people in big crowds, fewer people using bad hygiene, and more people around who have already had it if the spread is more slow and gradual.

There's a fear of the unknown that people are going to process differently based on their own personal assessment and risk tolerance. If you want to feel optimistic, look to South Korea and even China, where it looks like the worst has passed. If you want to be more pessimistic, look to Italy, where hospitals are overwhelmed and everyday life has been hugely effected.

I lean optimistic, it's just who I am. The situation in Italy sucks but even there, the death toll doesn't equal the panic level and worst case scenarios you see out there. And this is the most aggressive private industry and public response to something like this I've ever seen. People are taking precautions, washing their hands; travel and events are being cancelled. That's all going to help a ton. The effect on the economy is big, but, people are going to be so psyched when it's over and we'll bounce back. It's an unique thing we're all going through but it will be OK.

Last edited by molson : 03-11-2020 at 09:19 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote