View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 12:52 AM   #936
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't know if it's as simple as that (and it seems mostly coming out of one region so far), but yeah can we please identify why Italy's situation is this much worse before assuming it *will* happen here?

On the flip side, Trump is tweeting about how nice the Japanese Olympic construction is & how much Joe Biden messed up during the swine flu outbreak that killed 12,000 Americans... Please tell me why we should cancel everything for weeks & assume the government will actually find a solution in that time? If it's just "delay the spread" the disease will still be there in 7/14/30 days unless there is intensive testing & quarantining, and people will start asking why we're going through the voluntary hardships...

I asked this too and the real answer is resources.

If we slow the spread even a little bit across the country we can avoid the issue italy is seeing where dr's have to choose who gets a ventilator and who doesn't and dies.

We have too few beds and ventilators to manage a massive short term peak, where as if we start segregating everyone apart NOW, we can flatten the curve and stay ahead of the resource battle.

Without the beds and ventilators available the death rate triples or quadruples.

With an infectious rate of 1.5-3.5 we cannot afford to let this thing get ahead of us. So as much as the cancellations and the travel bans and all that stuff is a pain in the ass and seems like overkill, its not, its just there to help us stay afloat so we can give the best possible treatment to every single patient that comes down with covid-19.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote