View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #965
miami_fan
Coordinator

A friend of mine works at the school district office and gave me a behind the scenes view of a local story.

Background: We have been getting email and phone updates for the last three weeks or so telling us the district is working with the Health Dept., there are no confirmed cases etc. They have engaged a few parents with questions about the virus, school plans and such but it was on par with parents concerned with food allergies. Pretty normal stuff. Then this happened

https://www.fox13news.com/news/farne...avirus-patient

To quote my friend, "You would have thought we dump the virus in the fire sprinkler system and spray the kids with it." More than 1200 phone calls asking among other things:

Is the district going to refund the cost of testing/medical treaments?
Why are visitors being allowed in the school without being vetted?

They also took the buses that serve that school out of service to be deep cleaned.

If that is what happens for this pretty benign case given all we know about how it does or does not affect children, I can't imagine what would happen
if there was an actual confirmed case of a student. I understand why they would close schools.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote