View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #1148
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Antibiotics aren’t going to have any impact on a viral illness. Fever reducing medicine ain’t going to help you breathe like a ventilator. To this point, numbers in the US have increased at the same exponential rate and that’s with a lack of available testing. Seattle is already a mess and NYC is not going to be long behind. I don’t think optimism is warranted at this point. Hopefully I’m wrong and some of these local measures will be sufficient.

Okay, maybe not zpack but possibly tamiflu and like in maybe lessening the symptoms. I do agree that it doesn't seem we have enough data to really know, however the lack of literature on treatment (e.g. "just take tamiflu to help reduce mortality") probably indicates it's not as effective.

Viral Pneumonia: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment
Quote:
If a virus is causing your pneumonia, antibiotics won’t help, but your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication.

If you have an influenza virus, your doctor may prescribe medications such as oseltamivir (Tamiflu), zanamivir (Relenza), or peramivir (Rapivab). These drugs keep flu viruses from spreading in your body.

If RSV is the cause of your pneumonia, your doctor may prescribe a medication such as ribavirin (Virazol). This helps to limit the spread of viruses.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-15-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote