View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #112
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't have any clue what they're doing with the players being sent out, but plenty of the Patriots coming in are good players, just slightly overpaid... Trey Flowers is great, Jamie Collins was a monster 1st half of last season (2nd half not so much but still starting LB quality), Danny Shelton was great on the interior DL and actually came pretty cheap - I was a little surprised at that number we picked up that guy from TB at the same 2/$8m number instead of re-signing Shelton.

I'm also not sure signing Chase Daniel affects the value of #3 at all. Lions could still easily go with a QB there & trade Stafford. They won't because Quinntricia is under a Win Now mandate, but having Daniel as a backup/early season starter while you develop a rookie QB wouldn't be a terrible plan under a more long term thinking organization.

The problem is how many players play great within the Patriots' system and then go on to do nothing? Jamie Collins is a perfect example. He played well with the Pats, goes to Cleveland, flames out, goes back to the Patriots on a small, one-year deal, plays great again, and strikes it big with Detroit. The odds of him excelling in Detroit are slim. Flowers was fine last year, but not a difference maker. I don't have high hopes for Shelton either.

The "win now" mandate is another big problem. It gives Quinntricia plenty of incentive to make moves for the "now" while mortgaging the future. Honestly, the best thing for the organization would very likely be drafting Tua, trading Stafford, and re-building the whole thing. It's rare to be picking in the top 3. As bad the Lions have been, they haven't picked this high since drafting Suh 10 years ago. Passing up the opportunity to get a player who could change the course of the organization to draft a cornerback (Okudah), defensive tackle (Brown), or linebacker (Simmons) seems like another step in the 50+ year path to mediocrity and irrelevance.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote