View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #247
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have a little insight here for what it is worth.

Thanks, on all of it. I'll just reply to stuff in one post rather than multi-quoting.

The gap year part is comfortable enough for him, we always knew that was a possibility. He could likely repeat internship time with one of the state's top defense attorneys (who also wrote some of his recc. letters), everyone there was keen on him after his summer with them & have all been "anything we can do to help, just say the word" ever since.

To our surprise, he's yet to get a single gap year recommendation from any of his applications. So far he's gotten (I think the latest count is) 2 outright rejections (one expected, one surprise),1 deferral (best case with that one really), and either 5 or 6 immediate acceptance (including one pleasant surprise that is no worse than choice 2B).

Offers so far have ranged from nada to a true full ride, with a couple others in the 75% range (including one that notoriously doesn't offer much of anything to anybody afaik). And that's before any negotiation at ALL.

The delay on his decision at this point is that his top choice still hasn't replied one way or the other, so we're paying some seat fees to keep our leverage as high as possible until that settles itself.

It's a helluva process, that's for sure. On the whole - pending the outcome of his top pick - it's gone pretty well I think, aside from quite a few highs & lows as the yays & nays come in a sorta alternating fashion.