View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #23469
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Of course they should be subjected to the same restraint. I think officers show a ton of restraint in all kinds of situations - but when a mistake is made or crime committed by an officer, the consequences can be disastrous. Much more than say, an insurance adjuster who has racial biases or whatever.

I'm just saying that when an officer properly shows restraint, we shouldn't assume they're racist just because some other officer didn't act properly in another situation. What is the first officer supposed to do? Bash the white peoples' heads to even the score?

Ah. Well, I don't think they should have bashed their heads in - but when the protesters were trying to burst in the House Chambers, I do think they should have been disbursed then. That's a violent provocation.

I do think it's more of an example how white protesters get more restraint than black protesters would. I agree, I don't think they should have gotten their heads bashed in, but rather see the same respect to border protesters, to Black Lives Matter protesters, etc. The juxtaposition is striking and I think a lot of black folk see their experience and think - why can't that respectful posture be shown to us!

It may come out in angry ways due to disparate treatment all of their lives though.

(I can confess I get really annoyed when I go through airport security and a white dude with a long hipster beard who is a bit flip to TSA gets no hassle at all, when I am always hyper-polite and make sure I'm shaven before I go through security due to a few times I was pulled aside)

I also would say that I find our society to be incredibly and obviously racist, so if we consider cops to be regular people in society, it makes sense to consider that they may racist as the rest of our society - and that is where assumptions may come into play. Not the individual but the group that they are a part of and represent.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2020 at 02:52 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote