View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #49
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Sadly with their focus shifting to Perfect team more and more, I don't see a lot of what's broken being fixed or improved going forward. I buy every version and I love the 3d engine, sometimes mess with perfect team, but hate that it's at the expense of the core game.

I still enjoy the game a lot, and the 3D experience is greatly improved over last version. It's the way I play the game now for the first time.
I have a slightly more positive view of the draft. Three seasons ago I drafted an outfielder in the 2nd round, and he ended up leading the league in batting average this season at .353. Good combination of 65 contact rating and 80 avoid strikeouts. He also has 75 speed. There's a 23 year old with 65 power rating who is tearing up the league right now, so there is young talent coming up.
It's how they develop after you draft them that's more important though. You are correct that I don't see any batters with very high star potential. Mostly 3 star guys that could develop into higher. I'd like to see a few ringers in there that get drafted 1st and 2nd overall that are almost certainly going to make it, and then after that it's more of a risk. There are certainly a lot of players that you draft early that fade quickly. I had a 2nd baseman called Doug Bourque (very Canadian name) who at 23 was a future star. He got 30 homers in his rookie season. Then by the time he is 26, he is a role player. His ratings got chipped at constantly, and that 55 contact was 45, and the power also dropped. All of a sudden he was more of a platoon guy.
I think it is pretty realistic as MLB probably has the least reliable draft out of all the sports. It's why they don't give it any coverage in mainstream media. I don't remember seeing an MLB draft magazine at my local convenience store. It's because most of those guys won't make it to the majors for years, and many won't even get that far.
But as a game, I'd go for a little less realism, and try to have your scouting research or your skill pay off a bit more.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote