View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #4263
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Interestingly I showed some studies on that matter and did get back to you. That post was ignored. Would someone else posting similar information be better? (for reference, here's what I posted nearly two weeks ago):

I'll just add to this yet another study, 2015 by MSU/MD, that found thusly:

The study also found that 90% of citizens shot by police were armed, and 90-95% were actively attacking police or other citizens at the time. That means another 5-10% that are a major, unacceptable problem. I don't gloss over that. But let's have some perspective here.

Then we have the assertion that the fact of more violent crime being committed by blacks is a manifestation of systemic racism. Um, no. Now ISsidiqui rightly points out that the sourced table by booradley only describes arrests. We could try this one on for size , which is about offenses not arrests and indicates that homicide is committed at grossly disproporionately high rates by blacks. Even if you assume that none of the nearly one-third of all homicides comitted by those of unknown race were perpetrated by blacks, which of course would intentionally understate the issue, they would still be responsible for three times more murders than their population share.

Some of this is impacted by systemic and historic racism. For generations drug offenses (as noted) have been overpoliced in black communities while violent crime has been underpoliced. This does contribute to distrust of the police and revenge killings instead of relying on justice, exacerbating the problem. All of that is real and important. At the same time, if the police ignore crime in black communities, that's racist because they aren't giving those communities the help they are entitled to as citizens. If they police those areas more heavily because there is more crime there, more interactions with those citizens will occur, leading to an inevitable uptick in problematic altercations arising. This leaves a situation where there is no conceivable avenue of police action or inaction that does not lead to racially disparate outcomes.

It also must be said that profiling is clearly wrong - but the reverse is also wrong. That is, just as prejudging someone based on their race is unacceptable, so to is prejudging someone because they are wearing a police uniform. Every year from 2015 to 2018 at least 150 police were killed. Per 10k officers, that's 2.15 to 2.2 deaths. The best FBI studies say the rate of black perpetrators among these is in the low-40s percent wise, so we'll call that about 0.85 of every 10k officers is killed annually by a black citizen. Meanwhile in the worst years, about 0.07 blacks out of 10k are killed by a police officer (of any race), and it's usually somewhat lower. So statistically speaking, police officers are at least 12 times more justified in being afraid of being killed by a black citizen than the other way around.

Which leads me back to my original, ignored point. Let's focus on how to improve the lives of those in the black community. But let's do it on a facts-based, not rhetoric-based manner. The #1 cause of death for black men 18-34 is homicide by other blacks. That is not true for any other group. Solving THAT is where the path towards peace must begin. You could eliminate every vestige of police violence tomorrow and it wouldn't even move the needle; it's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Fix the gaping hole in the hull that is sinking the whole ship.

I read it, and didn't respond because the numbers speak for themselves. It was a solid post.