View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #4347
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
f all of the things I said today to call out what I perceive as actions that harm the BLM movement and uphold the status quo, I expected some pushback - but that post I thought was the single most obvious and least "controversial" one lol.

To the contrary, I consider it one of the worst things posted in the entirety of this thread. If we can't agree that racist language is racist no matter who uses it, and are going to intentionally hold black and white people (or for that matter, any two groups of people regardless of how we define them) to different standards, then nothing else we are talking about in this thread even matters.

In that case, we're not even aiming at racial equality, colorblindness, etc. We're not even trying to judge people by the content of their character standard. This is not, as ISsidiqui averred, anything to do with priviledge. It's about logic and equality at the most basic, definitional level. It's 2+2=4 territory.

All of which makes me very sad. I was literally physically ill last thinking about this discussion, because I do very much want solutions. I don't want the cycle the continue. I would desire to be an 'ally' or whatever the latest term-du-jour is. But even here in a group of people that, it has been observed many times is probably quite a bit more well-meaning overall than the general population, we can't even come to a consensus to call a spade a spade? That just makes it so obvious and unavoidable how little hope there is. It certainly means there's no point in continuing to spar verbally with people of disparate views who are misrepresenting my statements far too often for it to merely unintentional in some cases, when we aren't even remotely aiming at the same just outcome.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-15-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote