View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #502
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So Fortnite finally did their season ending event today ... and damned near broke the internet apparently

2.3 million concurrent views on Twitch shatters their record. YouTube said the audience on the direct feed peaked at 6.1 million. That's 8.4 million watching the primary streams but that doesn't include those watching elsewhere, nor however many players were in-game for the event.

For some perspective on that number: just the 8.4m is about 1m more than any recent primetime TV season winner averaged. It would be good for about 30th place in the most-watched shows of the 2019-20 season ... at 2pm, on a Monday.

edit to add: Perhaps not coincidentally, late this afternoon parent company Epic Games was reportedly raising another $75 million in financing from investors, backed by an updated company valuation of $17 BILLION dollars.

double edit to add: I saw where they released the number of users in-game during the event: 12 million. That means 20.4m viewers, which would made it a larger audience than any regular TV show, broadcast or cable, in the 2019-20 season.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-15-2020 at 11:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote