View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #495
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Shifted this post out of the Fuck Cancer thread into this one, cause it just seems to fit better here.

I'm (obviously) not the important factor in the current equation here with my wife & all but I gotta tell ya, I'm steadily not doing great with this as tomorrow approaches. My nerves are shot to the point of being downright queasy. The list of minutiae that I'm stressing over borders on the absurd (and maybe on the wrong side of that border). Easier than stressing over THE big shit I imagine.

But fuck me, I'm accustomed to a certain level of personal dysfunction. This is waaaaaay past that level. I ain't as young as I was in her first battle with it I guess, and I'm coping (a term I use loosely) with it very differently. I think that time I was so openly terrified about it all that it was less internalized to some extent. This time, I'm probably more outwardly calm but more fucked up inside.

I feel like a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

FWIW, This sounds like a pretty normal reaction to me. The feeling of being the person who is "supposed" to hold things together can be daunting. I suspect that it is even more difficult when we are not in a very normal period of time and the silly things that could be distracting i.e. sports, games etc are not available or are not working. Hang in there.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote