View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #25500
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
American exceptionalism is no more"- I would argue it is greatly damaged over the past 4 years. You have often posted about how it is still a place many want to come to. That has been true I would argue up until now. I have a number of immigrant members in my direct family - wife and children.

Thank you for remembering my arguments about the US being far and ahead the place immigrants want to come to (regardless whether or not they can). This is one of my central tenants as evidence that the US is still looked on as the "land of opportunity" (e.g. I don't see many clamoring to live in the Nordic countries as first pick).

I lean towards American exceptionalism/land of opportunity is temporarily on hiatus. I cannot argue that Trump has definitely hurt the US from the overall view of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
“However, I would ask if you are one that thinks the core of the US is racism (the ADL definition), let's not bother having the conversation because it will inevitable devolve into a non-productive conversation with more radical elements on this forum chiming in incessantly and derailing us. “

I would say overall no but we definitely have some major racial issues probably due to the large makeup of people in US of a diverse racial, cultural, religious and ethnic background. I am more interested in how we improve the issue as to why it is though I can argue that the why can be quite beneficial in improving the overall issue.

I too want to discuss how to improve current race discrimination/bigotry and also, albeit lesser/smaller extent, ADL-racism. I do believe there is a degree of systemic ADL-racism but I personally do not believe it is as prevalent as some here believe.

Going to bed. Give me a little time to read your articles & formulate my thoughts for you to react to.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote