View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #4782
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
it is undeniable that among a large portion of the African American culture that violence is glorified and that cooperation in any form with law enforcement is vilified.

So I was having a discussion on these lines with someone else (he was talking about gangsta rap - I pointed out that hasn't existed in any real form since the early to mid 2000s and then they pivoted to all rap), and I pointed out video games and the person quickly tried to distinguish it (without real success, IMO). Because the gaming community has reacted quite hostile to the notion that violence is glorified in gaming and that may lead to violence in the community.

Now I'm not saying that gaming or music actually makes people more violent. It is undeniable that rap music has gained a LOT of white fans and you don't really see a difference there. And a lot of games involve basically shooting other people in the head (well, if you are good enough ). Basically I'd be somewhat careful of assigning cultural causes.

The cooperation with law enforcement I'd would say is an issue, but it's an issue that goes both ways. It likely started due to law enforcement treating black folks differently, which led to black folks not wanting to cooperate with law enforcement and that sort of thing has continued. Black folks generally don't trust law enforcement at all.