View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #4987
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Even not being a LEO I can answer that for my son and the officers I train BJJ with. Very little, talking 2-4 hours a year!

The Gracie's have a program with the LVPD that addresses restraint, grappling awareness and ground control and something like that would be beneficial across the country, at least for urban forces. Quite honestly the lack of effective combative training is why so much of this shit with restraint goes south.

The training many of these departments get is the so called 'warrior' training, which is much closer to Krav Maga, where the intent is to fuck someone up and not effective restrain them in a safe manner. This is the reason so many officers train BJJ on their own time/dime, because they know they are lacking. I have rolled with a newer students who were Leo's a couple of times in the past and I finish wondering, how the hell would you survive in a hand to hand situation on the street. The answer is they wouldn't and this is why people get shot when escalation to deadly force could be avoided if they had adequate training.

In a group situation there is even less of an excuse for some of this shit if training was at the level needed. My two cents and reflective only of the departments/LEOs I know.

I'm all for more training but I still don't think this solves much. I'm sure there are situations where being trained in hand to hand combat is helpful.

But I still think this is a systemic issue. It's how police are trained and how they view the public. I've lived and spent time in a number of countries when I was younger. The United States is the only one where I felt the police viewed me as the enemy. Maybe this is a training thing that teaches them that everyone is a threat, or maybe it's a culture inside that breeds it. But police in other countries were much nicer, less confrontational, and I never saw a Punisher sticker on their gear.

I don't even know how you fix it. The "blue line" stuff where they cover each others crimes is so embedded in that culture. Police departments in major cities have way too many ties to white supremacist groups. And the "we're at war" mentality is glorified to a ridiculous extent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote