View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #7234
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Age of Ultron is decidely "meh". I thought it was mostly fine until the climax where Ultron goes from Brainiac-level danger to crappy robot but that's balanced by the good guys having to fight with one hand behind their back. Oh, and all the dumb infighting that mars pretty much every team-up movie in the MCU. It's more forgettable than offensive.

Iron Man 3 would be in the lower tiers of the MCU. But I'd still put it above Thor 2, Hulk, and Iron Man 2. Again, more forgettable than bad.

I also worry that I'm overselling Infinity War as you haven't seen it before. It was almost note perfect /for me/ as I'm a huge fan of grand plots. It's going to be bloated because they're balancing every character in the MCU across about 3 hours. But it felt like they did as good as they could have with those grand ambitions. However, it's almost all plot - the only characters who gets characterization are Thanos and Gamora (and a little Thor). So, if you want 3 hours of "Act 3" plot, that's Infinity War. There's no intro, no rising action - you're thrown into the end of Ragnarok and it's all downhill sledding from there.

I love the line from the Honest Trailer (warning: spoilers in that so don't watch it until after the movie): "It may be the best movie that Marvel's ever made. But, without a doubt, is the most /movie/ Marvel's ever made. Man, there is so much... /movie/ in this movie. Look at all that movie!"

Endgame is the more character-based movie, but the plot is a lot sloppier.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2020 at 02:56 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote