View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #7241
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
but looking at it as an actual "film" it's probably lacking, and felt more like a series of scenes stuck together than it did a cohesive story, even for a Tarantino film.

I have felt this way about Tarantino's films recently. I still enjoy them a lot, but his movies seem to be missing something for me. I haven't watched his latest yet, but I assumed maybe I just didn't think that highly of his westerns (even though I still liked them).

Then I watched this video on YouTube about film editing, specifically about Dede Allen, the film editor for movies like Bonnie and Clyde, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and The Breakfast Club. It really highlighted just how much influence the editor has over the movie. A lot of directors take a hands on approach to editing, but it's in the edit where a lot of how a movie is experienced is created.

Turns out, Tarantino used the same editor, Sally Menke, for all of his movies up to Inglourious Basterds. Fred Raskins (with who knows how much direct influence from Tarantino himself) has been the editor of his last three movies.

Editors really don't get nearly enough credit or recognition for their work. Tarantino wrote and shot his movies, but it was Sally Menke who stitched together the specific shots that created the scenes, like the beginning to Inglourious Basterds, that everyone drools over. I think a lot of people would be surprised just how different a scene feels if you used different shots and held shots different lengths of time.

Here's the video about Dede Allen

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote