View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #21
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Skulljacks, Avatars, and Shens, Oh my!

As the Avenger begins to take off, the ship begins to shudder. Lily Shen's rover begins reprogramming itself and starts hacking into our network. The disruption only lasts a few moments, but long enough to flash a picture to her of her father, Dr. Raymond Shen.

Dr. Raymond Shen led the engineering department during the first wave of attacks 15 years ago. He died procuring the Avenger for XCOM and his daughter has subsequently taken up his work. Central gets coordinates on where the disruption came from. We will have to scan the area to pinpoint it's location. Lily Shen is anxious for us to look into it.

Shortly after, Marth Fischer, our only engineer (aside from Lily Shen), completes the Advanced Warfare Center. Wounded operatives are lined up outside the door before it is even officially open: Kodos, Chas in Cinti, Breeze, and Li. Luckily there's enough room for all of them. Fischer starts treating their wounds more effectively.

Next BB gives me a call on my view screen and informs me that he has a team that has been hacking the alien network. In the data caches, they have found reference to something called the Avatar project. As this term shows up regularly in highly secured communications, BB believes it is something we should investigate and disrupt if we can. We can start by picking up the Blacksite mission that he gave us a little while back.

Dr. Tygan is the next who calls for my attention. He has completed the autopsy of the Advent Officer. The Officer apparently has a chip implanted in it's head, but it's different than the one he dug out of my skull. He shows me what he's discovered on the monitors. The Advent Officers are getting tactical feeds regularly - as battles progress - that are tied into the alien psionic network. Apparently they are being fed my tactical tendencies that they harvested when they had me hooked up to the system. Bastards! That's why they always seem to be one step ahead. Tygan says that he can get more information from the Officers if we build a Proving Ground to test out experimental weapons and build something he refers to as a Skulljack, which can access the chips inside a live Officer - sounds like some close quarters work. I tell Tygan that we will prioritize it as we can.

OPEN OBJECTIVES:
1. Complete Advent Officer Autopsy
2. Contact Resistance in Blacksite Region
3. Make Contact with West Africa

Shen – Encourages us to scan for the source of the disruption.

NEW OBJECTIVE
1. Identify source of Disruption

Personnel – We are back down to 2 healthy operatives and 4 in sick bay. However, our completion of the Advanced Warfare Center will help us recover faster. Picking up 3 new rookies at the Abandoned colony helps our headcount situation, though.

Avatar Project (3/12)– We need to investigate Blacksite facilities.

Research – After we finish the Advent Officer autopsy, we start the Sectoid Autopsy. Sectoid Autopsy completes and we learn a little about Psionics and can build a mind shield against their psionics. Though one would think the mind shield an important advancement, it takes up space on our kit where we would store ammo or ordinance. Next Research: Advent Trooper Autopsy.

NEW OBJECTIVES
1. Construct the Proving Ground
2. Complete the Skulljack project in the Proving Ground
3. Use the Skulljack on an Officer.

Engineering – Fischer tending to the wounded and can’t start clearing debris for any more construction yet. We need more engineers. Stat!

Scanning – We complete the scanning of the abandoned colony and pick up 3 new rookies Welcome Rk. Ilyushin, Rk. Hendricks, and Rk. Anderson. We need more Engineers, but don’t have the supplies to hire one. Found an old Service Depot to scan for supplies. Scanning will take 7 days. While scanning for the resources, we hear about an opportunity to do a supply raid . . .

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 11-05-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote