View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #415
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The 2044 NFL FA Period #1

We are drafting 1.27. Who do I like?

I interview a stud FB, some TEs and OGs. I also interview some OTs in case I wanna draft one and move it to OG.

I have 42 under contract without signing my RFAs. We have 2 mill over the cap and we need some for rookies and UFAs so we need to clear up some space. Any big names in the final year of their deal I can cut cap space for to extend?

In order to extend Van Pelt beyond this year (his last year) we need 4 years and 105 mill dollars. I cannot do that so my QB situation isn’t going budget by embracing Van Pelt. Sad. I cannot commit to him as my salary cap option.

I extend Pritchett and his cap hit this year drops to 20 from 42. I hate it! But the cap requires me to

I now have 7 mill free for players. I reach out to sign my RFAs

DT Nesbit won’t resign due to playing time issues

I cannot extend these backups due to cost:

TE Lemmon
WR Woodard

My starters that are in the last year of their deal and what they want…

OT Kurt Gillespie – 7th year vet, 4 years, 62 mill, drop in cap by 1 mill this year
DT Taylor Benson – 7th year vet, 4 years, 44 mill, drop in cap by 600k
WLB Vernon Carpenter – 4th year vet, 17.5 mill, 4 years, increase in cap hit of 1.7 mill
FS Morris Davidson – 6th year vet, 3 years, 11 mill, 1.6 mill drop
CB Eli Zaiser – 7th year vet, 2 years, 20 mill, 6 mill drop
DE Wayne Conyers – 4th year vet, 64 mill, 4 years, 10 mill hit

Hmmm… I extend Davidson.

I’ll hold off of Zaiser, I’ll let him go at the end of the year. I’ll also not extend Gillespie as I may draft a replacement given his 7th year and no All Pro status. I extend Benson. I was going to cut him for Nesbit now that he’s developed enough as he is a better pass rusher, but that is no longer an option. Carpenter is cheap, which I love, and getting a 64/64 starter for years at that price is very nice, but I suspect I’ll start Butler at WLB once Carpenter leaves barring a replacement in the draft.

I have 6.4 mill left but I won’t chase anyone or extend anyone else right now

Wait… TE Percy Schultz only wants 18 mill for 4 years. Do I chase him in FA? He wanted 9 mill per year to extend him… I hold off. I am too tight to the cap.

Week 7 – Schultz signs with the Bills

I’ll see you at the draft!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote