View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 06:49 AM   #20660
Edward64
Head Coach

Have to fess up and say I've thought of doing similar on my trips.

I've visited Angkor Wat (and other temples) and the country is still recovering from their wars, desperately in need for foreign cash infusion. I thought then that if they sold some of the old stones lying around (literally), I would buy one.

In Athens, climbing up the hill to the Parthenon, there are plenty of old stones lying around also. Sell some to tourists at a premium. I can see where wealthier tourists may want a BC rock/stone souvenir.

Tourist apologizes for stealing Roman ruins, being an 'a--hole'
Quote:
An American tourist has returned a fragment of ancient marble stolen from a trip to Rome — along with a note apologizing for “being such an American a–hole.”

The Nation Roman Museum received a bulky package this week from Atlanta, Georgia, which contained the rock inscribed with the message, “To Sam, love Jess, Rome 2017” in black marker, the Guardian reported.

Along with the parcel was a letter asking for forgiveness from a visitor, who museum officials assume was a young woman named Jess.

“In 2017 she must have come to Rome, and took this fragment of marble in order to gift it to her boyfriend,” museum director Stéphane Verger told Italian newspaper Il Messaggero.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote