View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
NarratorC
n00b

August 7, 2018

Coach Bellamy has been busy recruiting for the past six weeks or so. I'm concentrating my efforts on the Great Lakes region, especially our home state of Wisconsin.

We have two scholarships available for this recruiting cycle. The departing players are a point guard and a small forward, so ideally, we're looking for players at those positions. We have three power forwards on scholarship, and none is older than a sophomore; we probably wouldn't bring another PF in, unless he projected to make an immediate impact.

My first priority is finding players with the desire and ability to play outstanding defense. After I watch some film and evaluate their game, if they grade out as a D or an F for defense, I eliminate them from consideration (for now).

I was left with some B and C defenders who showed at least minimal interest in playing for us.

Then, I looked at their grades. If they're making better grades than the current Phoenix players, I kept them on the short list.

Eight players, all Wisconsin products, have come to campus for visits. (If I don't include the state when I mention a player's home town, assume he's a Wisconsin guy.)

I was most excited about Donta Massiah, a point guard from Juneau. He's a grade B defender with decent passing and ball-handling ability, and he has a 3.7 GPA. Donta wasn't terribly impressed with us when he visited, however, so I decided not to offer him a scholarship.

Jules Alloway, a powerful center from Reedsville, impressed me, too. But, like Massiah, he didn't show much interest in us recruiting him. I'm keeping an eye on him, but he's not a priority recruit anymore.

Brad Murray is a shooting guard, and because we have a freshman and a sophomore at those positions already, that position isn't an immediate need for us. And one of those players, Nick McTyer, is a highly regarded recruit with the potential to develop into an offensive force. Brad would be battling for playing time, and that is something that is important to him.

I kept looking back at Murray, though. I like his well-rounded game. He's a good enough defender (C), and he's a 3.0 student whose coach praises his work ethic. Brad is the kind of kid I want at Green Bay. I decided to offer him a scholarship.

I also offered a scholarship to Delawn Jackson, a 6'8" small forward from Gresham. When he visited us in late June, he wasn't considered one of the top 100 players in the Midwest. Since then, his stock has risen considerably. He's now the #17 player at his position regionally, and his national rank has jumped to #393.

Delawn makes good grades (3.1 GPA). He's a hard worker, and he'd like to play close to home. His C grade for defense is acceptable, too. Landing him might be a stretch, since his stock is increasing. I'm looking forward to seeing if his interest level goes up from "++" to "+++" now that he has an offer in his hand.

We're entering a quiet period, when we can call recruits, watch game film, or bring them to campus for visits. Beginning on September 11, I can hit the road and visit players, and hopefully I'll return to Green Bay with some good news.
NarratorC is offline   Reply With Quote