View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 11:26 PM   #19
NarratorC
n00b

November 13, 2019

As the 2019-20 season begins, let's take a look at this year's team.

I wonder if Coach Bellamy's emphasis on academic excellence has begun to rub off on the players? Some of them are making much better grades now! I'm especially proud of Calvin Wright, who had a 2.7 GPA this time last year.

The new walk-ons, Nathan Griffin and Isaac Lilly, are both decent students, too.

Center David Martin enjoyed a very productive freshman season, and we'll look for him to take another step forward this year. David could be one of the top two or three big men in the Horizon League, along with Matt Bennett of Northern Kentucky and Scott Sharp of Illinois-Chicago.

He'll be joined in the frontcourt by Roy Davis and Kareem Progin.

Davis surprised everyone with his offensive contributions last season, but it's his work at the defensive end of the floor that sets him apart. Roy is the highest-rated defender in the conference.

Progin is the team's top returning scorer, largely on the basis of volume rather than accuracy. His shot is smooth and fluid, so we hope he was simply unlucky.

Freshman Delawn Jackson will receive plenty of playing time, especially against teams that have particularly physical post players. Jackson is strong under the boards and has a good midrange game.

Zachary Williams will also have a chance to make an impression. He lost his starting job to Davis last year, but he's worked on his game and seems ready to make an impact. Zach will be Martin's primary reserve at center.

Another freshman, Lou Wallace, will team with senior Anthony Blackwell in the backcourt.

Wallace has real potential, able to score off the dribble or make teams pay from the outside. He also brings with him a reputation for solid defensive play.

After splitting starting duties with James Duke last season, Blackwell will be the unquestioned first choice at the point this year. He distributes the ball well and shoots well enough to keep defenders honest. His quickness enables him to get some steals, but he's not a natural defender.

Larry Crane provides solid depth at both guard spots. He is a very good shooter and a solid defensive player.

Last season, Nick McTyer provided some glimpses of his potential, occasionally scoring in bunches. He could also look hopelessly overmatched. The potential is still there, but it's time for him to deliver more consistently.

Caleb Osteen is available if we need a long-range bomber, and walk-on Nathan Griffin can run the offense for short stretches if we need him to.

The media experts took note of our last-place finish last season and predicted we'd end up in the same spot again this year. I can't help thinking this team is significantly better than last year's. Mike McDonald will be missed, but I believe the addition of Jackson and Wallace, along with the maturation of Martin and Progin, will more than compensate for his absence.
NarratorC is offline   Reply With Quote