View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #1336
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Bears fans, help me understand why y'all think Pace is the problem here. Genuinely curious. Yes, the Trubisky trade was awful and thats a huge red mark there. But his trade for Mack gave y'all an elite player (arguably the best defender outside of Aaron Donald?) during his prime.

NFL draft: Grading Ryan Pace's 32 picks as Chicago Bears GM - Chicago Tribune

I dont think that analysis is far off, but I think we see alot of hits and misses (again Trubisky was a bad one).

Is it the FA that hurts? Getting Foles was solid IMHO, until again, he flopped. Not sure I'd blame Pace for trying there.

Pace hasn't been awful, but where he has been bad has killed the team. The Trubisky trade is arguably fireable alone. Especially when you consider the process that led him to take Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes (2 qbs that reportedly impressed the scouting staff more) was basically Mitch reminded him more of Brees than the other 2 qbs.

The Mack trade was good on the surface but was part of going all in on a roster with Trubisky at qb. Going all in without a qb in place is asking to be fired.

The Jimmy Graham signing is indefensible as was prioritizing Tarik Cohen over Allen Robinson for an extension. The Trevathan extension is looking downright awful right now as well. Pace has had his hits in free agency (Robinson, Prince, Trevathan before the extension, Hicks, and Clinton-Dix) but he's also had some absolutely horrible signings (Dion Sims, Bobbie Massie, Trey Burton, Demps, Eddie Royal, Parnell McPhee, along with Graham). That's before getting to going with Foles over clearly better qb options this past offseason and giving up a draft pick to do so.

Overall Pace isn't terrible but he also doesn't appear to be the type of GM that's going to build continued success. Trubisky, plus destroying the bears cap situation in order to go all-in on a 3 year window that's netted 1 winning season, 2 trips to the playoffs, and zero playoff wins is usually enough to get you fired.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote