View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 04:47 PM   #38
NarratorC
n00b

October 24, 2015

I didn't mean to be away THIS long.

With a 40-game season and two cup competitions, there were more than twice as many matches to play before we reached the first quarter of the season. (And I've been enjoying my college basketball season, too.)

Perhaps the board were right; perhaps the Commoners are indeed ready for the stiffer challenge of the First Division. After a rough start, the lads found their footing, and it's now been nearly two months since we lost a league match.

The First Division schedule can be frustrating at times. We might go three weeks between matches; that's why we traveled across the Channel to France for those two friendlies. Then, we might play three times in a week. Add in the cup ties--including a replay--and we've had to rely heavily on our squad players to come through for us.

Fatigued players are more apt to injure themselves, and we've dealt with that reality, too. Rob Magwood has played 36 minutes this season. That's how long he was on the pitch for our season opener before he tore his hamstring. The absence of our 2014/15 Supporters' Player of the Year provided an opportunity for young Reis Lovell, and Reis has grasped it with both hands.

Our tactic is designed to make the player in that role the heartbeat of the team and, while Rob and Reis interpret the role differently, they both produce impressive results. Reis is establishing himself as a threat to score himself, with two goals to his credit, while Rob has never scored a goal in a Little Common shirt. He did, however, contribute ten assists last season, while Reis is some way off that pace with two.

Jack Ross twisted an ankle, offering Taser Long the chance to show what he's made of. The youngster has created five goals, scoring two and setting up three others.

Another alumnus of the Youth Candidates Class of '15, goalkeeper Aaron Dunn, has been both spectacular (five saves, including a stunner, away to Selsey) and aggravating (allowing two soft goals at home to struggling Newhaven). Still only sixteen, Aaron is clearly a special talent, but he does remind us that he's far from a finished product.

We're on to the Third Round of the Southern Senior Cup, but we're out of the FA Vase, losing a Second Round replay to Wessex Premier side Horndean in heartbreaking fashion.

We went ahead through Ryan O'Neill, but Rapinder Henry drew two yellow cards in an infuriating two-minute display of recklessness. Horndean punished us by drawing level, so off we went to extra time.

A clumsy clearance by our Duncan Staires fell to the dangerous Taiwo Greening, and Horndean pulled ahead. Not a minute later, however, Taser Long equalized. Then Horndean's Robert Moreman was shown a second yellow. It looked like we'd play ten-man football for a few minutes, and then settle matters from the penalty spot.

But this is Little Common, where players get stuck in and where yellow cards are part of a day's work. Six Commoners were on yellows, so it was only a matter of time before one of them stepped out of line a second time. It was Nat Hubert, who had come on late in the first half to replace an injured Richard Slaughter. Rather predictably, the Deans took advantage of the situation and fired in a very, very late match-winner.

I wanted SO BADLY to rip the referee, a bloke called Neil Perkin, but the media didn't give me the opportunity in my post-match presser. They probably saved me a touchline ban.

It turns out that Mr. Perkin has also had the whistle for two First Division matches, in which he pulled 15 yellow cards. That's two more than our old friend Irvine Woodward has awarded in his two appearances.

Before we take a look at the table, it's time to bid farewell to Neil Lazarus, who signed with Croydon Athletic. Again, it's a case of a player taking the opportunity to earn more than we can pay him; Neil is on £85/week there.

His spot on the roster was taken by George Kimber, 22, who has patrolled the left side of the pitch for five different clubs in the last five years. George's calling card is his pace, and while he's not quite as versatile as Lazarus, he can play several positions. George also fits the Fairly Professional personality of our club perfectly.

The teams at the top of the table haven't played many matches against each other. For example, we haven't met Arundel or Rye United yet. They've played each other, and Arundel won 3-1. It will be interesting to see how the standings might change once the early form sides face each other.

Last edited by NarratorC : 01-26-2021 at 09:40 AM.
NarratorC is offline   Reply With Quote