Thread: F*^$ Cancer
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #692
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

30 days after the cats last saw her, Vivi and Reese are happy to announce that Mary-Ellen returned home on Sunday.

2 weeks of Emory Midtown (which included her successfully completed radiation treatments) and 2 weeks of in-patient physical therapy at Emory Rehab Hospital, she's back in Athens... hopefully for good this time.

She remains on strict limits ("toe-touch only, zero weight bearing") for the bad leg. That's to protect the femur still dangerously weakened by the damage suffered back in December. I can say that her overall mobility and general strength are significantly improved compared to her return home back in January.

Pain management is still challenging, and is critical to her recovery, probably the most important thing at the moment as it dictates a lot about how much simple movement is possible. The margin between controlled and rampaging out of control is awfully narrow, though understandable since the amount of bone at the "neck" of the femur is still precariously small.

A quiet week ahead here we hope, as she enjoys the absence of 5am vital sign checks, persistent intercom announcements around the clock, and an expanded menu options at meal time.

Next week should include both a follow-up with the bone doc early in the week and the cancer doc at the end of the week. The former is for a re-evaluation of the bone situation, the latter is mostly for a regular round of scans and assessment. She's certainly well on her way to being the most "photographed" person of 2021.

But for now, rest and (hopefully) recovery are the order.

As always your love, concern, and prayers are much appreciated.