View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #2083
Edward64
Head Coach

I know westerners will criticize this move but I lean to being okay with this. He remains pretty popular with Russians, is somewhat of a benevolent dictator (just don't threaten him personally or politically), and has stabilized Russia (or arguably brought Russian back) from the disastrous Yeltsin era.

I'm from the camp that western democracy/republic doesn't work for many countries.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vladimi...dential-terms/
Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law on Monday a change to the country's constitution that will allow him to run for two more six-year terms, granting himself the chance to remain in power until 2036. The Russian leader, 68, has already run the country for more than two decades, and with his recent crackdown on political opponents and civil society, he has made it clear that there's little room for dissent.

A copy of the new law was posted on the government's legal information website on Monday, confirming that the legislation — the success of which was really never in doubt — had been finalized. Prior to the new law, Putin would have been required to step down after his fourth and current term in 2024.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-05-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote