View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #930
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

If the current group of people who work at my company (well, the parent company - I'm technically part of a start-up) are any indication, this is a place people work at forever (we have several people who have been here for 50-60+ years at a company of about 50 employees). They take great care of their employees, and the workload is moderate at worst, so it's easy to keep showing up and collecting a paycheck (or hard to not keep showing up, I guess). The general counsel of this company is in his mid-80s, for instance, but his workload is light, so why not?

So, if things go well over the next decade, I could easily decide to retire but it might be hard to walk away from relatively easy money.

These are all things we need to be thinking about. I don't know why, but as I hit 50 it became a bit more real that the end is at least somewhat in sight and I better start thinking about how/when it's going to end.

Seems like a great gig you have going. But there's that phenomena of "just 1 more year".

I'm dealing with that right now. The past 2 years (with Trump) has been pretty good overall for my "net wealth". Surprising as heck with last years pandemic.

I guess if you have work life balance and somewhat enjoy your work, why not. On one hand, I'm cognizant that "it's never enough", why not work 1 more year which (in a normal market of min 8% return) will go that further in ensuring I have a better retirement.

On the other hand, I'm thinking life is short and if I can live a somewhat comfortable retirement, why not. At 50 or 52, you are still relatively young to do things you want. At 50+8 years, not so much anymore.

Ultimately, your decision. I'd suggest you have a real discussion with the SO and do go to a financial planner who will help you think through options. Let us know how it goes!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote