View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #937
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Any idea what his net worth is? Is he already wealthy and this is just 5% that he is gambling with or is it 70%?

Regardless, it's interesting how YOLO has been taken over by stock market gamblers. Back then, before it was an acronym, it meant go live your life, experience and do things, take some risks before you "settle down".

Now it's like bet on some stocks and roll the dice.

He had $50K to throw at Gamestop in the first place as a trader so he wasn't poor to begin with.

400 Bad Request
Just a gut feeling: I've always got the impression he was upper middle class to upper class, depending on where you draw the line: lower to middle rung financial guy making like $200K~$500K per year up in Boston (high cost of living). He feels like he had successful-ish boomer parents, went to a private college, and got into that second gen upper middle class path.

He made a big bet with his investment "play money": If you have $50K+ of investment/play money sitting around that you can afford to lose, you're not poor or merely middle class. But I never got the impression he had >$1M sitting around. And I'm pretty sure the majority of his wealth is tied up in 200K shares of Gamestop stock now. His final posting shows he still has $3.5M in cash and $30M in Gamestop stock.

That said, this is all gut feeling - there might be more info out there that's more conclusive.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote