View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I mostly buy this. I now think the single most likely situation after 3xQB, is Pitts, Chase, and then Dolphins do something (WR Smith, T Sewell or trade out).

The most interesting wild card, I think, is the Falcons' cap situation, which is not good (unless they deal Julio Jones, which is the latest warm rumor). Barring that, they need to free up space, and adding picks this year to fill in for released veterans is one way to do it (and just dropping the cap hit for your top selection has value too). So, Atlanta dealing down from 4 to somewhere like 8 would still allow them to land a quality guy (Waddle?) and also pick up maybe two more legit draft picks as fill-in pieces. And they have one or two more pieces to tempt teams with for a trade-up... if someone desperately wants TE Pitts, frex, they are the team you have to call, most likely.

I feel like the Lions are almost in that exact same position, just one slot lower. If it is 3XQB, Pitts, Chase, Dolphins, I think the Lions are best served by trading down, if possible. They only have 6 picks in the draft and have needs everywhere. Sitting at 7 and having to choose between say - WR Smith, WR Waddle, T Sewell, T Slater, or LB Parsons - just isn't that exciting.

I think either tackle would make the most sense, but given that they just extended Taylor Decker, they'd be spending the 7th pick on a RT. If it's Sewell, given how young he is, he could switch to LT after Decker's current contract is over and would still only be 25. Having a solid O-Line would create a position group of strength. Goff badly needs protection to be effective and relies heavily on play action. So, if the Lions had a solid offensive line that could lead to a good run game with Swift and Jamaal Williams, that may make Goff not terrible.

All that being said, if Lance or Fields is still there at 7, I would not be sad if the Lions drafted either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote