View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 05:31 AM   #8009
Edward64
Head Coach

3 data points.

Like the 36x difference. There should be more PSA announcements on TV (e.g. Oscars for the left, NASCAR on the right, include streaming also etc.) about benefits of second shot and the cons of missing it. I've not been watching regular TV as much but I don't think we've been inundated with these PSA announcements.

We kinda knew about the second one. And think the article implied the third one is overstated as there are folks getting second shots but just not at the same place for various reasons.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/02/us/co...sed/index.html
Quote:
While there is some protection after the first shot, it's not clear how long that lasts, and it is nowhere near what full immunization offers.

"There's a 36-fold difference of getting fully vaccinated versus partially," Dr. Anthony Fauci said at a news briefing Friday.

And then there's the question of whether the country can obtain herd immunity -- meaning 70% to 85% of the population is immune -- if the number of people who don't get a second vaccine dose keeps rising.

"I am concerned about it," said Jahre. "In order to get durability, you need to have that second dose."

And to get to where we want to be in terms of herd immunity, "you need to have durability, you need to have sustainability. And it's very important that people follow through with that second dose," Jahre said.

"It's certainly an issue," Wen said of the 8% not getting a second dose. "We need people to be fully vaccinated for the protection of others as well."

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-02-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote