View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #501
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: On to training camp 2098!
With a whole bunch of new and a couple of old faces.

Post draft free agency pretty much finished. "Pretty much" as I have sent out offers to 5 free agents hoping they'll take an eleventh hour contract to join us for training camp, increasing the head count to 70. Providing our two hold-outs Richie Piotte and Darien Fletcher will sign our second offer. Let's hope their mathematically incapable player agents do the right thing and not turn down another much better contract than they're requesting.

Linebacker Hayden McNeil did sign a new one-year deal, which means he'll likely be back for another season on our running downs defensive formations. We did sign a couple of other linebackers, in case McNeil wouldn't and to have a bit more insurance in case our veterans fall apart in camp. 29-year old Bart Hansen is one of two veteran free agent that we added to our roster. He was previously with the Fairbanks Northstars, playing there for 3 seasons after 4 seasons with the Orlando Talons, that discovered him as an undrafted rookie in 2091. Undrafted rookie Trey Ford also signed a one-year deal, we had him on our radar during the draft already.

The other veteran signing is a familiar face: quarterback Kelvin Everett. Yes, he'll probably won't make our pre-season roster, but I figured we'd give him one more shot to prove us wrong. He extended his career after signing with the Chesapeake Chitterlings during the playoffs, but they decided not to use their restricted free agency dibs on him and let him become free to all. Well, Kelvin, here's your one more chance in Oranje Haven.

Aside from aforementioned Trey Ford, we signed 7 other undrafted rookies: running back Angel Henderson, tight ends R.J. Asmus and Wendell Borders, wide receiver Lester Quinn, punter Trevor Sinclair, defensive end Drake Stinchcomb and safety Dakota Kamin. Borders' run blocking, Asmus' special teams skills, Quinn's big play ability and special teams experience, Stinchcomb's pass rush technique and Kamin's zone defending and special teams skills give them a legitimate shot at making the team. Sinclair might just be an insurance incase veteran Shaun Barlow falls apart. Henderson wil have to improve in camp to have a chance to challenge our backfield from last season and seventh round pick Dashawn McIntyre.

The excess of over 60 players is always tricky, because training camp is just a moment to give young players a second look. For veterans pre-season action reveals their game day fitness. But with 60 the limit for pre-season, we'll have to make at least 5 cuts between those two moments. And I'm going to make it more difficult on us/me, as I already mentioned that I have 5 offers out on free agents to join us. Most notable Branden Sandlin, because he deserves to make it to camp here.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote