View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #1764
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ravens QB Conundrum

I do not expect this team to be very good this season. With all our smoke and mirrors, we probably won't fall below 6-7 wins, but I don't think we can win 11.

Our incumbent starter is in year three, and I think we know who he is... he's, maybe, Chase Daniel. So-so game manager, not a guy you win with, but won't embarrass you:

Cary Alfonso

So, if he goes in, we should expect another 82-rated season, under 7 ypa, and a ratio like 27/18. Not awful...good enough to be on the fringe, but nothing to shout about. Hard to see Alfonso as the long term answer, obviously.

So, two rookie options are here. The first is the late round pick my scout graded as VU but who now looks like a sack of monkey shit:

Donovan Hobgood

So, what we get there is near-max ScrFrq, pretty good timing bar, and a 4.51 dash. And likely a ton of interceptions. Would he throw for less than 6.5 ypa? Don't know. Would we be a lot worse with him starting? Don't know.

Then, I picked up another rookie, mostly eyeing him as a possible shift to RB/WR for purpose of becoming a chem leader in the sparsely populated 10-11 group:

Junior Starks

And now, oddly enough... I see a case for him to actually start at QB. ScrFrq 97 by my scout, better Sense Rush than Hobgood, and he's got accuracy rather than timing. All told, he's actually the better fit, I think. Both guys should be pick machines, I guess -- is that a known facet of using the "smart" triad for your offensive chemistry, perhaps?

Anyway...weighing my options. If Hobgood doesn't get the starting job, he likely just gets cut. Starks has chem angles to keep around, one way or another. In a no-injury league, less pressing to have serious quality at QB2.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote