View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #122
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
That's funny, because I hate drafting low control pitchers. I find that a pitcher with poor control rarely becomes good.
Development seems to be pretty random, but 50 control seems to be the magic point. Anything less and they just put too many men on base to be effective.
Nothing worse than seeing your pitcher pick up on their stuff, but then lose control, and no longer be a viable pitcher.

I have found that, with power pitchers (and power pitching coaches throughout the system) and especially so with relievers, they can get enough Ks to offset som walks. My typical, high leverage relievers are typically like 75/60/50 with 98+ velocity and power or groundball focus. It is fairly easy to draft these guys at the end of the 1st round to the 3rd and as throw ins on trades. My current closer was a late 1st rounder and is like 105/85/50 and averages almost 18 Ks per 9. He’s a stud, but you are right about the control in that, when it rains it pours with the walks. He’s been having 3 WAR seasons and had one 4.7 WAR season and is typically below a 2.00 ERA. He’s bombed a few times in the postseason vs good teams, though.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote