View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #310
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That was, best I've been able to find, an odd incident. Found a quote from Mike Hargrove that indicated he didn't know of any history the two had so it seems as though it was in response to the oddly timed throw behind (Johnson was on early in long relief in a 1-0 game, Randle had a single at that point but no homers had been hit or anything).

If that's the case then it would be more enforcement than violation, Johnson had no apparent reason to throw behind Randle in the first place.

That was a pretty weird time though. You've got Randle who wasn't exactly the most stable fella (three years later he would be criminally charged for beating his manager Frank Lucchesi so badly that the manager required plastic surgery).

And just five days after that, the infamous beer night occurred in Cleveland ... not entirely coincidentally against Randle & the Rangers.

https://www.ohiomagazine.com/ohio-li...cle/brawl-game